PATIENT RESOURCES

[Dubai Eye] Thalassemia on #DubaiToday

From 11am, Suzanne Radford will mark International Thalassemia Day which was on May 8th with Dr. Diana Kayal (left in the above image), Specialist in Obstetrics Gynaecology and IVF at Bourn Hall Clinic. She will explain the basics of Thalassaemia, discuss awareness and prevention through Pre-Genetic Screening and give advice, knowledge and expertise with respect to infertility patients.

Joining the two will be Sohaib Azam (right), Founder of THALASSEMIANS, a Social Support Programme for Thalassemia patients. He himself is a Thalassemia patient who recently had been awarded the title ‘inspiring thalassemia person’ whereby the selection was merely based on how well a patient has gone through life living with Thalassemia. Sohaib holds an MBA in General Management and a Bachelor in Information Technology from Preston University in the US.

www.facebook.com/Thalassemians

www.bournhall-clinic.ae

Link to the Emirates Thalassemia Society: www.thalassemia.org.ae

And the UAE Genetic Diseases Association also has a Thalassemia campaign: www.uaegda.ae/web/guest/thalassemia-campaign

What is thalassemia? What causes thalassemia?

Find all the answers here: http://dubaieye1038.com/thalassemia-causes-thalassemia/

Thalassemia
International Thalassaemia Day article on the ARN News Centre app from May 8th

An inherited blood disorder that is prevalent in the UAE has seen a reduction, according the Dubai Thalassemia Centre.

Thalassemia is a blood disorder passed down through families in which the body makes an abnormal form of haemoglobin which results in large numbers of red blood cells being destroyed, which leads to anemia.

In the UAE, 8.5% of the population are carriers. This is one of the highest rates in the world.

Dr Essam Dohair, a Specialist Haematologist, said the community should be well aware of the benefits of the premarital screening and take advantage of such an opportunity to prevent future generations from getting the disease.

He added: “In the last three years, we have not received a single new case of a baby born to a Dubai Emirati couple with Thalassemia.”

“Couples should not opt for the screening few days prior to marriage. They should go for the screening much in advance so that if both are carriers of the gene, they should avoid getting married. It is unadvisable for both partners with Thalassaemia to get married because in such cases with each pregnancy there is a 25 per cent chance that a child will be born with the disease, a 50 per cent chance the child will only be a carrier and a 25 per cent chance the child will not be affected.

However, if only one person has thalassaemia it is still okay because the baby will be a carrier but will not have Thalassaemia. It’s not the best case scenario but it’s okay,” said Dohair.

Comments are closed here.