An advanced procedure for achieving fertilisation
In-vitro Fertilisation, or simply IVF, is an assisted reproduction treatment involving the collection of eggs from the woman, after the ovaries have been hormonally stimulated. The eggs are fertilised in a laboratory with sperm from the husband.
In some cases, such as when there is a sperm problem, IVF is performed together with IntraCytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) to further improve the chances of conceiving. In ICSI, each egg is directly injected with a single sperm under microscopic control.
How is ICSI performed?
An IVF-ICSI procedure includes several steps that may vary per patient, according to the prescribed treatment plan. Our process in Dubai commonly involves:
- Use of hormone injections to stimulate the ovaries for around 10-12 days. Observation of medication types and doses, with accompanying regular scans and blood tests, is performed during this period.
- On the last day of ovarian stimulation, an hCG injection will be administered to mature the eggs. It is usually done 36 hours before the eggs are collected.
- Sedation or mild general anaesthetic can be administered for egg collection, as well as sperm collection.
- Insemination is typically conducted on the same day of the collection.
- Transfer of the embryo is performed 2-5 days following the day of the collection; it depends on the quality and number of the embryos.
- A blood test to determine pregnancy is performed 14 days after egg collection.
The advantages of going for ICSI in Dubai
ICSI is designed to make fertilization more effective, thus improving success rates. For couples who have trouble conceiving for inexplicable reasons, this procedure can also be a possible option.
Find out more about us
If you are interested to know more about our Dubai clinic, or if you want to set an appointment, feel free to get in touch with us today.